Skip to main content

Independent Study (FAQ)



1.  What is independent study?

Puente Hills School is an independent study school within the Hacienda La Puente Unified School District and is designed to allow students to continue their education by meeting once a week with a fully credentialed teacher and completing a minimum of 30 hours of course work per week independently. We are WASC accredited.  


2.  Where is Puente Hills School located?

We are located on the Valley Alternative School campus at 15430 Shadybend Drive in Hacienda Heights.


3.  Will my child be able to get a high school diploma from Puente Hills School?

Puente Hills School offers a complete academic program that includes all classes required for high school graduation. The curriculum and graduation requirements are identical to traditional schools throughout the District. Upon successful completion of all mandated courses and assessments, students earn a HLPUSD high school diploma. High school courses meet HLPUSD and state requirements for graduation. Beginning the 2022-2023 school year all courses will be A-G and NCAA approved. 


4.  Can my child return to their traditional school?

Yes, they can, but they are not guaranteed their spot if the school is impacted.  For some students, their goal is to return to their traditional schools after making up missing credits, while others plan to receive their diplomas from Puente Hills School. We do highly recommend that families/students commit to enrolling for minimum of one academic school year. 


5.  My child has special needs and has an IEP (Individualized Educational Plan).  May I enroll them in Puente Hills School?

Prospective students with IEP’s are to contact their current school site IEP team or special education administrator and work with their special education personnel to collaborate with our special education department to determine if placement is appropriate.


6. Does Independent Study support signature programs? 

Beginning for 2022-2023 school year high school students will be able to select Advanced Placement courses.

7. Is the work assigned in paper packets? 

Assignments depending on the grade level will consist of primarily working on online platforms.

Elementary TK-6 some traditional paper pencil assignments will be issued along with working on online platforms for math, language arts, and science.

Middle/High school all subjects will be facilitated through online platforms.

8. Can my student participate in CIF sports? Performing Arts (Band, Choir, Drama)? 

Puente Hills has a multi school agreement through CIF-SS with Los Altos High School which allows Puente Hills students participate in all sports at Los Altos High School. 

Puente Hills has agreements with all four HLPUSD high schools which students can participate in performing arts at their local traditional high school while concurrently enrolled in Puente Hills.